If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (312) 509-5000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Tell if You Have Mold Damage in Your Chicago Home

1/25/2018 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation How to Tell if You Have Mold Damage in Your Chicago Home If you can visibly see mold in your home, call SERVPRO immediately to remediate the damage before it gets out of hand.

SERVPRO’s Tips for Early Mold Detection

Getting rid of mold from your home in its early stages is vital in preventing a possible disaster. Mold can spread quickly and cause health effects. So, it is essential to seek professional help as soon as you spot the earliest signs of mold damage.

If you spot mold in your Chicago home before it becomes a significant problem, the remediation can be cheaper and easier to accomplish. Here are a few tell-tale signs that you might be having a mold problem.

A strange odor is in the air

A strange, musty odor is a hallmark of mold growth. If you experience a pungent odor in specific areas of your home such as bathrooms, or the basement or attic, chances are, it is due to mold growth. It is quite common for the growth to occur within the walls or behind the wallpaper. In such instances, the smell is often a sign of the problem before it is visually apparent.

If some parts of your home smell strange lately, give SERVPRO professionals a call. We can help look for and remedy the damage before it gets out of hand.

You can see the mold  

Spotting a few colonies in a well-lit place such as a bathroom can be quite easy. However, if the mold is growing in a dimly lit attic or basement, you might need to look a bit deeper. Make sure that you inspect your attic, bathroom and crawl spaces every so often for the signs of visible growth. If you spot it, call the experts at SERVPRO immediately.

Damp places in your home

Whether you can smell or see the mold or not, a damp place in your home is a serious red flag. If you have excessive moisture in your home, the chances of developing a mold problem become imminent. Make sure that you eliminate any leaks and dampness as soon as possible. Keep your basement, crawl spaces and attics dry and inspect for leaks in plumbing as often as you can.

Make sure you call in the experts as soon as you experience any of these issues. Remember, acting fast is the best way to get the damage under control.

Call SERVPRO of Hyde Park / E. Bridgeport / Bronzeville at (312) 509-5000 today for a free consultation.

Click here for more on the city of Chicago.

Other News

View Recent Posts