Prevent Water Damage to Your Chicago Home
SERVPRO Can Help Prevent Water Damage to Your Chicago Home
Water damage can happen to your home in many different ways. You cannot always prevent damage from extreme weather such as a storm or flood, but there are many things you can do to prevent other kinds of water damage.
A burst pipe, a leaky appliance, a faulty gutter, or runoff from your garden can all cause water damage to your Chicago home. Water damages your belongings and furniture, affects the structure of your home, and can be a source for mold growth. Your home will be less pleasant to live in. If left unchecked, water damage can cause structural problems which are costly to repair.
Prevention is better than cure. Our SERVPRO water damage experts recommend the following to prevent water damage to your home:
- Keep your roof and gutters in good order. Regularly check your roof and gutters for any damage or leaks. Get any problems remedied when you find them – don’t wait.
- Clean your gutters. Even gutters in good condition can cause water damage if they get clogged. Go up to your gutters and clean out any leaves, branches, birds nests, or other debris.
- Be careful where you plant. Trees and shrubs make your garden look beautiful, but many have invasive roots that wrap around your pipes and break them. SERVPRO recommends checking out where your pipes go and being mindful of what you plant near them.
- Use a drain snake. Every homeowner battles a blocked sink at some point. It is easy to reach for a chemical unblocker, but some of them contain harsh chemicals that erode pipes. A drain snake is inexpensive, effective, and easy to use.
- Throw away your grease. Pouring grease down your kitchen sink clogs the pipes and leads to blockages and even damage. Put any grease into a separate container and dispose of it in the trash instead.
- Check your water bill. Some leaks are hard to spot. Your water bill can give you a clue before you notice the physical evidence. Keep an eye on your bill – unexpected rises in water costs or usage indicate a potential leak.
- Replace your washing machine hose. An old washing machine hose is water damage waiting to happen. Don’t let a worn-away hose become a cause of water damage in your house. Replace it regularly to prevent problems.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
No matter how careful you are, water damage can still occur. Call SERVPRO of Hyde Park / E. Bridgeport / Bronzeville at (312) 509-5000 for assistance.