The Importance of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Your Home or Business
While they are more and more infrequent with modern appliances, gas and liquid ignited appliances and heating for homes are still widespread throughout the area. As this story in the video from our SERVPRO employee, Anna recounts poor ventilation in the kitchen area of her home nearly led to a tragic encounter with carbon monoxide (a byproduct of these types of appliances, furnaces, and heaters).
Fortunately for Anna, her home’s smoke detectors had the critical secondary ability of also detected unsafe levels of carbon monoxide in the environment. Anna had no idea she was even getting exposed to the dangerous levels because the gas is odorless, invisible and tasteless. Often those overexposed never get the opportunity to realize it before it has taken a fatal effect on their system.
The gas is so dangerous because it can overcome the body in a very short amount of time. While some do experience symptoms that can help to indicate that they are amid unsafe levels of carbon monoxide (CO), it is always wise not to solely rely on these indicators. Those exposed to the gas have experienced:
- Shortness of breath
- Fatigue and Tiredness
Again, it is not wise to wait on symptoms like these to inform you that you have been exposed to CO in the environment, as a large volume of the gas might overtake you and leave you unconscious in a matter of a few minutes.
We at SERVPRO of Hyde Park / E. Bridgeport / Bronzeville want you and your family to be safe through every season of the year, so we recommend installing carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home as an early warning system. These inexpensive devices can detect what your own senses cannot, and work to keep your family safe from this silent threat.